At Least We Weren't The Cursed Child
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

At Least We Weren't The Cursed Child

all was well.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Potter Residence

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
opal

opal

Potter Residence  Empty
PostSubject: Potter Residence    Potter Residence  Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 6:54 pm

Philadelphia, Summer of 1860

Amanda Potter sat at her desk, tapping her quill against the half empty ink bottle beside her. She just lacked any inspiration- it was as though she had just hit a wall. This dreadful heat had sucked energy right out of her! That and the Wait.

The Wait is what she called period of time after she sent out her letter to Melenie. The Wait was a terribly bland period that could last days or weeks. It depended on so many variable (the weather, if the train ride goes smoothly, if Melenie can be bothered to replied) the Wait was impossible to predict.

Amanda honestly was only happy every few days of the week. The days the paper was delivered or she received her dear friend's letter. She had never seen Melenie more than twice- Mother forbid her from long travels until Amanda was able to find a suitor.

Ah, the everlasting quest to find a man who wasn't stuck in the past. A man who wasn't-

"AMANDA! A LETTER HAS ARRIVED!" Her mother's voice echoed through the halls, awaking Amanda from her pleasant daydreaming.

"I will be right down, Mother!" Amanda hollered back, quickly jumping up from her chair. She glanced at the full mirror to her left, throwing her hair in a rather sloppy up do that would just have to do. No one would be seeing her besides Mother and the servants.

~*~

"Amanda you really won't find a man if you lack even the simplest skills of putting yourself together." Lily Potter looked disapprovingly at her daughter, her wrinkled, squinted eyes still wide from how tightly her bun was pulled back. She tapped her fingers on her wide hips which created a sound similar to that of a drum due to the corset around Lily's waist that nearly was just as tight as skin.

"Mother no one sees me besides you and the ser-"

"No buts. A lady is always prepared to host and please."

Amanda scoffed, "Mother, times are changing. I will run around in my pantyhose and my hair flowing in the wind if it pleases me!"

Taking advantage of her mother's dropped jaw and moment of shock, Amanda snatched the letter out of Lily's hands and dashed up the stairs. Greeting her was not the careful, frilly writing of her dear friend Melenie, but the careful, frilly writing of a man named Wallace Vainglory IV.
Back to top Go down
komaeda
Admin
komaeda

Potter Residence  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Potter Residence    Potter Residence  Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 8:05 pm

[lily potter
u ok]

The writing was, indeed, excruciatingly careful and frilly almost to the point of illegibility. Three pages worth, as well. The lacing of Amanda's bodice nearly unwound altogether in the time she took to decipher the ledger, which read as follows:

[quote]

To she whom this may concern: Ms. Amanda Lily Potter of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania:
If it pleases you, my lady, I would certainly like to open this message by outright stating the simple fact by which I have trudged my tired self along for the past five months and seven days since we met at a Mrs. Serenity Rosensteel’s gala: I yearn for you, Amanda, most tragically.
Your name is one that leaps from my throat like a frog catching its the ten lords who leapt on the birthday of our dear Lord almighty. Your name is the sweetest of hymns, the sweetest of honeysuckle on the mouth of a child. It warms my very soul like a lonely sunbeam on a January morning. The name Amanda means “worthy of love”; you, sweetest of violets, are not only worthy of love but worthy of infinitely more. You are worthy of all heaven and earth and all that falls betwixt, between, below. You are worthy of the stars, of the moon, of moonshine, of Mercury, Venus, Mars, Neptune, and Saturn – only if because Jupiter is a disgusting and unholy place.
Your hair spirals around your –

[quote]

Much of the letter was lost beneath idioms and similes and mindless prose spun on the wheels of Venus' own diamond chariot, and not worth writing. Signed: An illegible scrawl meant to resemble a signature. Mr. Wallace Ferdinand Vainglory III. She could scarcely remember the man.
Back to top Go down
opal

opal

Potter Residence  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Potter Residence    Potter Residence  Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 8:27 pm

Amanda was ashamed to admit she read the letter over more times than she had fingers. She was ashamed to admit her fingers and other parts of her tingled. She was ashamed at she felt a little light headed over a man she could hardly remember.

He wove his words so intricately- so precise. The endless prose was music to her ears. The entire letter was similar to a hopeless love poem sent by teenage girl. But maybe that's why she loved it so much.

No.

No of course she didn't love it!

She was disgusted by it. He was just another man using smoke and mirrors to get what he wanted- her and her father's fortune.

Silently, Amanda folded the letter into quarters and stuck it into her desk.

"Amanda. Lily. Potter!" Amanda should have her the obnoxious swishing of her mother's dress coming up the stairs. There was no escape now.

"Don't you dare ignore that man. He is wealthy, handsome, and most surprising of all is courting you! You made a promise to me that after going to that terrible place to get you called an education you would accept the first suitor, and you ought to thank God that he's a good one! If that filthy Finnegan from town had asked for your hand I would have held you to your word just the same! Now you get out that damned quill and write!"

Now it was Amanda's turn to be shocked. She was too shocked to even be hurt by her mother's comment. She had heard her mother swear on two occasions. When Harold had enlisted in the war, and now. After a moment of silence Amanda snapped back into reality.

"Mother! You read my mail!"

"That does not matter now. You are banished to you room until you write that letter!" Lily ran her hands through her now falling out, graying bun. Her normally tired eyes gleamed with fury and hope- hope that her hopeless daughter would finally be taken off her hands. She glanced one more time at Amanda's quill and left, slamming the door behind her.

Quote :

To he who this most certainly concerns: Mr. Wallace Vainglory III

I am honored and simply delighted at some of the clever metaphors and descriptions you have used. But did you spend these past five months on that one letter? I hope not. I honestly am not worthy of the adoration you intend to give me, but it is obvious you think otherwise.

I'm terribly sorry to admit this, but I barely remember you. You are just the man who had a rather nice smile at yet another gala my dearest mother had forced me to attend.

I would like to invite you to my home for brunch as soon as this letter arrives for nothing more than a casual meal. Perhaps if the man behind the quill is as charming as his words are, we may continue communication, and thus leading to something more...

The letter went on and questioned some of the lines he used, and asked exactly how Jupiter was such a terrible place.
Back to top Go down
komaeda
Admin
komaeda

Potter Residence  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Potter Residence    Potter Residence  Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 8:50 pm

A good thirty miles away, the letter was received with the giggling enthusiasm of a girl-child chasing imaginary faeries.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Potter Residence  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Potter Residence    Potter Residence  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Potter Residence
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
At Least We Weren't The Cursed Child :: BIG FUCKING WASTELAND :: Rules. Guidelines. Other Stuff. :: AU RPs :: Civil War-
Jump to: